By now I hope you know that my recipe posting philosophy is pretty simple: I only post recipes that are the best of the best.
Be assured that for every recipe that makes it here, there are at least five or six I’ve made that just don’t make the cut. Brian has this look he gives me when we are eating dinner and I know that he knows that I need to know that the recipe probably isn’t worthy of the blog and most definitely should not go into our personal meal rotation (but bless his heart, that man eats whatever I put in front of him, good or bad).
But even with my posting philosophy firmly in place, I still wondered if I should share this one.
Don’t worry, it didn’t induce The Look或者gagging (far from it). It’s just…well…not very exciting. Beef and barley. In the slow cooker. It kind of makes me sleepy just thinking about it.
However, this soup’s homey, comforting flavors with basic ingredients are incredibly delicious and left me craving more. When I made it for the third time, I figured you might want it in your life, too.
Ever since converting this fabulousSouthwestern Chicken and Barley Chili慢炖锅,我爱上了barley even more.
It’s nutty and soft but still slightly chewy, and in this soup, the tender bits of meat and carrot (reminiscent of the amazing, tasty carrots that come out of beef stew – my favorite part!) and the rich, hearty broth bring everything together perfectly.
So yeah, this may not be the most trendy recipe on the internet but I can promise you, it isn’t because of flavor and taste. It’s just because those viral recipes have sprinkles on top and this doesn’t.
好,现在两个新菜单功能!Starting today, I’ll be adding aWhat to Serve With Thissection for each main dish post (see below).
Not to say you are forbidden to eat this soup without, say, a dinner roll, but it’s just a way to help you pair side dishes with main dishes. A little extra boost after theSide Dish PlannerI introduced earlier this week. And 99% of the time, I’ll literally be telling you what we actuallydideat with the featured recipe.
Finally, if you glance down there in the footer, you’ll see a每周菜单这将在每周和每周的新菜单上更新。我知道你已经可以了these downloadable menus，但这意味着成为菜单规划的一目了然选择。是的......我想是的。谢谢你与我粘上。
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2磅牛腩尖端，襟翼肉或夹头烤，立方
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup 1/4-inch sliced carrots, about 3-4 medium carrots peeled
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, wiped clean and diced
- 1 cup chopped onion, about 1 medium yellow or white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup pearled barley (not quick-cooking)
- 在一个12英寸的不粘锅的skillet, heat the oil until rippling and hot over medium heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper and add to the skillet in a single layer (you may need to do this in batches), cooking for 1-2 minutes, browning on all sides. Repeat with the remaining meat if needed.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and simmer for a minute or so. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Add the beef broth, soy sauce and barley. Give the soup a good stir and then cover the slow cooker and cook on low 7-9 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed, before serving.